Smithfield Markets, LON
A large complex of Victorian Markets.
Constructed after an Act of Parliament acquired by the City of London Corporation in 1860 and designed by the resident City Architect, Sir Horace Jones. Work began in 1866, the first stone was laid in 1867 and the whole project was completed a year later – a vast cathedral-like structure of ornamental cast iron, stone, Welsh slate and glass. It was a place full of light and air, consisting of two main buildings linked under a great roof and separated by a central arcade, the Grand Avenue. Horace Jones never saw the finished site with the Fish Market completed one year after his death.
Although the Poultry and Meat Markets continue to remain a hive of industry, by the late 80's and early 90's, the buildings occupying the western areas of the site gradually fell into disuse. Various plans have been put forward to redevelop the site but none have so far been successful. One proposal to demolish the General Market was overturned after a public enquiry after a vigorous campaign by National Heritage.
The Red House
Fish Market Annex